[Odrl-version2] Is a uid required for asset that itself includes the ODRL?

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Tue Jan 11 01:48:46 EST 2011

There is still an argument - and I believe this is Susanne's position - that
every ODRL permission and prohibition must explicitly specify the asset(s)
to which it relates. Consider an ODRL expression that is embedded in an
asset. If there is no explicit link between an embedded permission and the
asset as a whole, this begs the question as to whether the permission
relates to the asset as a whole or just to some part of it. If the
permission does relate to some part of the asset, the link between
permission and part will have to be explicit. So only in the "normal" case
of the permission relating to the whole asset in which it is embedded will
it make sense to omit it. In many scenarios this so-called "normal" case
will probably be exceptional, not the norm.

In RDF I believe that the assumption is that, if the rdf:about attribute is
omitted, the resource being described is implied by the context, which in
the case of an embedded description would mean the resource containing the
description. We could, I suppose, adopt this approach in ODRL, but my
impression is that this is not the intention.

Francis