[Odrl-version2] Core Model: Roles, Parties and Assets

David Martin david at polecat.dircon.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 22:25:05 EST 2010

No, I'm not talking about a Duty.  In the ONIX vocabulary, Include is a
Usage Type (or Action Name) which relates to a freestanding act which
may be either Permitted or Prohibited.  Including a licensed content
part in a course pack is not a Duty associated with another Action -
it's an Action in its own right.  Of course, we understand that Include
may also be part of a Duty, if it's a matter of including a credit or
acknowledgement, for example.

 From the very first stages of looking at the ODRL model, we identified
the fact that it allows only one Asset to be associated with an Action
(other than via Duty) as a limitation which we would have to ask you to
consider removing.  The ONIX Usage entity has a mandatory Used Resource
(= ODRL Asset), but it also has an optional Usage Related Resource,
repeatable with role values to express the nature of the association.
We believe this is an essential element for some permissions and
prohibitions.

I hope, however, that I'm not misunderstanding the scope of Duty in the
ODRL context.

David Martin
EDItEUR

In message <2CCD8136-B20B-4446-A80D-D664F486C6E7 at odrl.net>,