[Odrl-version2] Core Model: Roles, Parties and Assets

David Martin david at polecat.dircon.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 01:28:40 EST 2010

Renato,

This crops up all the time in licensing of electronic resources to
academic libraries, often in connection with what ONIX would call an
"Include" permission.  For example: "include licensed content part in
printed course pack" or "include licensed content part in digital
instructional material" or include licensed content part in academic
work" (such as a thesis or dissertation).  The asset (or, in ONIX
language, resource) used is a licensed content part, and there is
another ("target") asset or resource which is the thing in which a copy
of the original asset may be included.

But I'm sure this sort of requirement isn't going to be limited to
library licences.

It's probably also worth noting in this connection that in general ONIX
tries to work with a limited number of "primitive" action types, and
builds up more specific actions by combining them with other entities.
One could take the approach of defining "portmanteau" action types for
some of these things, but that would limit the flexibility and
generality at which ONIX is aiming.  However, the ONIX approach will
tend to demand a richer vocabulary of qualifiers.

Does that help?

David

In message <D9163909-CDBC-413D-A909-0657F5CC6792 at odrl.net>,
"ri at odrl.net" <ri at odrl.net> writes
>On 6 Nov 2010, at 02:54, Francis Cave wrote:
>  3. Given the rationale for allowing multiple Parties associated with a
>  Permission / Prohibition, by analogy would it not make sense to allow
>  multiple Assets to be associated with a Permission / Prohibition, with
>  the Role entity used to define the association between Permission /
>  Prohibition and Asset? This would make it possible to express such
>  things as “it is permitted/prohibited to perform Action X on Asset A,
>  where Action X involves Asset B”. The fact that this would also improve
>  the symmetry of Figure 2.1 is a bonus, but probably not significant.
>Francis - can you give a real-world-ish example of the above?
>It is not clear in my mind (at the moment!)
>Cheers
>Renato Iannella
>ODRL Initiative
>http://odrl.net

David Martin
david at polecat.dircon.co.uk

Address in UK
117 Percy Road, HAMPTON TW12 2JS, UK
Telephone +44 (0)20 8286 8983 (or 8979 2516, if no reply)

In Tenerife
Rambla de Santa Cruz 153, Sexto, Puerta 21, 38001 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, SPAIN
Telephone +34 922 27 23 92
Mobile (in Spain only) +34 639 742 634