[Odrl-version2] Common Vocabulary - Constraints on Duties

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Wed Jun 15 01:03:14 EST 2011

Hi Renato

Some further explanation. The problem arises from trying to decide what 'count' means as a Constraint when applied to different Actions.

In the case of the Action 'copy', it would be intuitive for the Constraint 'count' to imply a restriction on the number of copies that can be made. If one generalizes from that, the Constraint 'count' can be said to mean the number of times that the Action is performed.

But in that case, what does 'count' mean when applied to a Duty Action such as 'obtainConsent'? If it means the number of times that the Action is performed, that would imply that the Duty Action must be performed once. But "once" is meaningless unless one is certain what the denominator is. Is it "once ever", "once per Action", "once per day", "once per recipient of the copy"?

I'm not suggesting that the Common Vocabulary has to accommodate all cases, but I think we should understand what cases ARE accommodated. It seems to me that the current text is not sufficiently clear.

Regards,

Francis