[Odrl-version2] Common Vocabulary - Constraints on Duties

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Tue Jun 14 18:33:16 EST 2011

Hi Renato

I quite like your suggestion, but I think there may be a problem with it.

I think one needs to be able to distinguish between the following cases:

- You are permitted to make one copy of the asset, but must obtain consent
first.

- You are permitted to make any number of copies of the asset, but must
obtain consent first.

- You are permitted to make any number of copies of the asset, but must
obtain consent first IN EACH CASE.

According to your explanation below, a 'count eq 1' Constraint on the 'copy'
Action could imply either the first or third of these cases.

One could argue that this could be resolved by careful interpretation of the
'count' constraint when on the Permission Action only (the first case above)
or on the Duty Action only (the second case) or on both (the third case).

If that is the intention, should this be explained in the Vocabulary? Such
an interpretation is not self-evident.

I don't think these address the case where consent would need to be renewed
periodically, but that is possibly where Alapan's explanation becomes
relevant: the assignee's system would need to be informed separately of any
complex rules that control the circumstances in which it is necessary to
obtain consent.

I think I volunteered to come up with a more detailed description of how
each Constraint should be interpreted in different Action contexts, so maybe
I'm just giving myself more work...

Regards,

Francis