[Odrl-version2] ODRL Version 2.0 - XML Encoding

Myles, Stuart SMyles at ap.org
Sat Oct 23 06:19:03 EST 2010

I like the ODRL XML Encoding.

In particular, the use of URIs or QNAMES makes a lot of sense.   One
thing to beware of, however, is that the value part of a QNAME cannot
start with a number [1] so, for example, the following would not be a
valid QNAME:

ISBN:90-70002-34-5

None of the examples of QNAMES you use in the XML Encoding document have
this problem.

Also, I notice that there are several urn's sprinkled throughout the
encoding, e.g.

<o:asset uid="urn:asset:9898"/>`

But isn't there a formal mechanism that is required to register a URN
(i.e. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2611.txt)?  Were these URNs intended to
be compact URIs?  I couldn't find a discussion of URNs in the ODRL XML
Encoding document (but maybe I just missed it?)

Regards,

Stuart

[1] The legal start character set for a QNAME value is
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-NameStartChar