[Odrl-version2] Request / response handling

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Sat Nov 20 02:28:49 EST 2010

If there is to be a profile for a Response to a Request, that would allow
the Response Policy to contain a single Prohibition, this raises a general
question about profiles: does a profile have to adhere to the Core Model or
not?

My understanding of profiles in other contexts is that they have to conform
to a set of core requirements, and my assumption has been that the Core
Model sets these core requirements for all profiles of ODRL.

But maybe there is recognition that, in order to encourage adoption of ODRL
in cases where the current Core Model may be too restrictive, profiles may
deviate from the Core Model, provided such deviations are justified (and
documented) and the consequences for interoperability are understood.

So, in this particular case, would the profile specify that a Policy must
have at least one Permission OR Prohibition, or should this be allowed in
the Core Model?

Francis