[Odrl-version2] Model change?

ri at odrl.net ri at odrl.net
Fri Nov 19 23:10:25 EST 2010

On 19 Nov 2010, at 20:42, Francis Cave wrote:

> No, both are permissions. The first says any assignee is permitted to distribute the asset. The second says that Party A is permitted to distribute the asset, but with the constraint that Party A may not distribute the asset online. Can you suggest a better way of expressing this?

If I was PartyA, then I would ask myself "can I distribute the asset online"?
The first Permission says I can.
The second Permission says I cannot.
Since all the Permissions are "valid" (and there are no more statements to check) - then I choose the first one and go ahead and distribute online...

So...another way to express this is with the same first Permission, and a new Prohibition:

<o:prohibition>
        <o:asset uid="myAssetURI"/>
        <o:action name="o:distribute"/>
        <o:constraint name="o:media" operator="o:eq" rightOperand="a:online"/>
        <o:role uid="a:party_A" function="o:assignee"/>
</o:prohibition>

Now, I ask myself "can I distribute the asset online"?
The Permission says I can.
The Prohibition says I cannot.
The conflict attribute is set to "prohibit" - so that wins out!

Cheers

Renato Iannella
ODRL Initiative
http://odrl.net