[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Journal annotation set scenerio

All:

The back-link scenerio was a bit of a reach.  The scenerio in this
message is meant to be dead-on, I think we gotta do it.

In this scenerio, there is a journal that is edited by a journal
editor.  Since there are no paper printing costs, this journal is
actually quite inexpensive to run.  The only material approved by
the journal editor is exported from this server.  Papers are submitted
via E-mail, papers are distributed to referees via E-mail, referee
comments are returned via E-mail, and acceptances/rejections are
sent out via E-mail.

In order to generate revenue, the journal publishes journal papers
to subscribing members first and 4 months later publishes the
papers to the general public.  Subscription fees are reasonable,
since the journal costs are fairly nominal -- a machine; a university
donates the floor space, electric outlet and network connection.

This journal would also like to export a couple of annotations sets.

1) The first annotation set contains exclusively annotations for
   journal subscribers.  Subscribers to the journal will typically
   have this annotation set in their Web browser's annotation set
   list.

2) The second annotation set contains annotations for the public
   journal papers.

While I think of these annotation sets as being disjoint, a reasonable
alternative is to have annotation set 1 be a super-set of annotation
set 2.  Note, this is some of the sub-set/super-set stuff that Dan
sent out in his original message.

Let's call these annotation sets 1st party annotation because the
journal publisher publishes both the papers and their annotations.

All annotations are submitted to the journal editor via E-mail.
If the journal editor likes the annotation, it is added to the
appropriate set.

Whenever somebody reads a paper from the journal, it would be
nice if their Web browser could inform the user of the existance
of the relevant journal annotation set.

Note that for this particular scenerio, all annotation publishing
is done internal to the server.  Thus, security issues do not rear
their ugly heads.  The annotation set size are quite reasonable too.

-Wayne