[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Back-link annotation set scenerio

	  Wayne says:

	From: "R. Martin Roscheisen" <rmr@cs.stanford.edu>
	Nice example.

My first thought on the back-link idea was that this should be handled
with a different protocol that specializes in links.  There is an Atlas
protocol developed at GaTech that does this (authors on the cc list).
This would handle forward links as well as back-links, and it would
probably be managed in cooperation with the server of the documents
that it manages links for.

But then my second thought was why does it make sense to do it with
annotations? Certainly annotations can handle links too, but another
way to look at the problem is that links can handle annotations too.
In fact, the link people think that way.  Who wins?  I don't know yet.
Maybe they will turn out to be the same thing.

	But let's make truth-checking:  It is not gigantic;
	indeed we know these numbers (cf. http://www.webcrawler.com/). The
	top five are ...

I think Wayne was thinking of a single back-link server to handle
all back-links in the whole world.  But I don't think there would
be a need to concentrate all of those back-links in the same server,
and if you tried, you'd have to somehow distribute it almost as soon,
as we discussed.  Instead, each server, or each URL, could have its own
back-link server associated with it.  These would be endorsed
annotation servers, if it were done that way.

dan