[Odrl-version2] New name for "AbstractPolicy"

Daniel Pähler tulkas at uni-koblenz.de
Mon Jul 18 23:58:41 EST 2011

Hi all,

in our Skype conference call a few hours ago, we talked about the current Core
Model, and I mentioned that I am not quite happy with the name
"AbstractPolicy" in section 5.2 [1].

Originally, we had tried to find a name for the abstract superclass of
Permission, Duty and Prohibition, and had come up with
"AbstractRightsExpression". Renato pointed out that since we have been trying
to get rid of the term "rights" in the specifications (replacing it with
"policy"), there should be a better name for it than
"AbstractRightsExpression". The current name "AbstractPolicy" does not quite
work, either, because it suggests that we have an abstract superclass of the
main class "Policy".

My question is now the following: what is a good new name for
"AbstractPolicy"?

Jean-Noël has suggested "AbstractRule". As far as I can see, "rule" is the
best possible generalization for "permission", "prohibition" and "duty", so
I'd second that.

Please say if you agree with Jean-Noël's suggestion, or if you have any other
ideas.

Greetings from Koblenz,
Daniel

[1] http://odrl.net/2.0/DS-ODRL-Model-20110217.html#section-52