[Odrl-version2] ODRL Relation attribute for an Asset

David Martin david at polecat.dircon.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 07:46:38 EST 2011

Renato,

I've been looking in some detail at the ODRL Common Vocabulary in
connection with some ONIX Licensing Terms work.  I noticed that the
values proposed for the Relation attribute for an Asset are:
-  target: The Asset is the primary object of the Policy
-  outputUID: Specifies the UID to be used for the output Asset

Three things strike me here:

1.  Shouldn't the nomenclature be consistent?  Either "target" and
"output", or "targetUID" and "outputUID" (preferably the former)?

2.  Is the definition of "target" still correct?  Through your recent
exchanges with Francis, I think we have now established that a Policy
can include several Permissions relating to different target Assets.  So
should the definition refer to "Permission or Prohibition", not
"Policy"?  And "primary object" is not a very exact form of words.  Does
it mean "The Asset upon which a permitted or prohibited Action is
performed"?  Or are there use cases which require a looser definition?

3.  Should the definition for "output" be more consistent with the
definition of "target"?  Something like "The Asset which is output from
a permitted Action"?

I also have a query about the Constraint name value which is shown in
the current draft as "system device", with "device" shaded yellow to
indicate that it is new.  Is "device" a candidate to replace "system"?
Apologies if I've missed some discussion elsewhere...

David
--
David Martin
david at polecat.dircon.co.uk

Address in UK
117 Percy Road, HAMPTON TW12 2JS, UK
Telephone +44 (0)20 8286 8983 (or 8979 2516, if no reply)

In Tenerife
Rambla de Santa Cruz 153, Sexto, Puerta 21, 38001 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, SPAIN
Telephone +34 922 27 23 92
Mobile (in Spain only) +34 639 742 634