[Odrl-version2] Dates and times in constraints

Myles, Stuart SMyles at ap.org
Sat Feb 19 06:43:57 EST 2011

Hi Francis,

I just read that page and I don't agree that they are in some way
pulling back from recommendations for working with ISO Dates and Times
laid out in

http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime

Or maybe I just missed where they said it? Can you point to where the
above document is contradiction with
http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/WorkingWithTimeZones?

But, either way, I suggest that the issue we need to decide regarding
ODRL is whether specifying the timezone offset is important.

To take an example, let's say that someone specifies in ODRL that the
recipient is allowed to play a video on their website after
2011-11-05T13:15:30. Because there is no timezone offset applied, this
is what the W3C wiki refers to as a "floating time". In other words,
2011-11-05T13:15:30 occurs at different instants in different timezones.
Is there really a use case for that?

I think there *is* a use case for "floating times" when it comes to
dates. Specifying 2011-11-05 without specifying an exact timezone makes
sense to me, because if day is the granularity that is required, then
timezone is irrelevant (even though that "day" could be cover as much as
50 hours across the various timezones around the world). And if someone
does want to specify a particular instant, then they can do so by
supplying a time, as well as a date, with a timezone offset.

I am not opposed to having the ODRL core model allow for floating times,
if there's a use case. And, as we've already said, we can always rely on
profiles of ODRL to tighten the requirements for making timezone offsets
required, as needed.

Regards,

Stuart