[Odrl-version2] ODRL Version 2.0 - XML Encoding

ri at odrl.net ri at odrl.net
Tue Oct 26 00:06:19 EST 2010

On 25 Oct 2010, at 20:21, Michael Steidl (IPTC) wrote:

> The ODRL XML Encoding draft specifies the uid of elements is "URI or QName",
> as a URI can be URN or URL I recommend using http-URLs for the examples -
> much less formal issues with them.

Sure, I can easily change them over to http identifiers...

> And I would like to add that the specification "URI or QName" is a bit
> tricky to process: how to make a distinction? The processor on the receiving
> side must know whether the string is a URI or QName as QNames have to be
> resolved to URIs before they are further processed.

I would imagine that after extracting the prefix, if it matched one of the local namespace declarations, then you have a QName, otherwise, it is likely to be a URI (as long as it matched http/urn etc and was otherwise syntactically correct...)

> Further I would support Stuart's pointing at a major issue with QNames:
> their local part MUST NOT start with a digit - but there are many, many
> existing vocabularies which have codes/terms which start with a digit, the
> ISBN is a good example.

In these cases, I would say that you would have to then default to the full URI:
    URN:ISBN:0-395-36341-1
    http://my.local.bookeseller.com/books/ISBN/0-395-36341-1

> For that reason the IPTC has specified a QCode which is actually the same as
> a QName, except this lexical space constraint, we invite ODRL to look into
> QCodes.

Sure, do you have a link about Qcodes?

Cheers

Renato Iannella