[Odrl-version2] Updated Vocab

Steven Rowat steven_rowat at sunshine.net
Fri May 28 07:15:36 EST 2010

ri at odrl.net wrote: > New release of updated Vocab working draft: > >
http://odrl.net/2.0/WD-ODRL-Vocab-20100527.html

I have had little ODRL v.2 involvement for over a year, for a variety
of reasons. This has allowed me to approach this document, to some
degree, as if I'm a new user reading it for the first time. For this
reason I'm noting all my problems with it, no matter how seemingly
trivial.

And the fact that I'm resorting to the seemingly trivial is also an
indication of how fundamentally complete the document is; nonetheless
I think it has reached the point where even these need to be
addressed, because new readers, more than re-drafters, require that
such attention-distractors not get in the way of understanding what
the document is really about.

General Problem:

Use of the [RFC-2119] modifiers "MUST" "SHOULD" etc. is not clear to
me in two ways:

a): Is capitalization required or not? (Note that "MAY" is capitalized
once, "MUST" twice; the rest not). I believe this needs to be spelled
out in the document, because the [RFC-2119] itself is not clear on
whether capitalization is required; it only says: "...These words are
often capitalized."

b): is the word "can" used throughout synonymous with "MAY" of the
[RFC-2119]? If so, I believe the document should note this, or should
use "MAY" instead of 'can' in all cases.

Suggestion for [RFC-2119] modifiers: What I think would read best and
be the most easily understandable would be to have the capitalization
declared as not necessary for this document, and simply don't use it
at all. However, if this is done, then all other 'must' and 'may' uses
have to be checked carefully because they will be [RFC-2119] uses by
default.

2.0 ODRL Common Vocabulary

Singular and plural do not seem to match in this sentence:

"The table[s] below outline[s] the comprehensive version 2.0 ODRL
Common Vocabulary."

Suggestion: Possibly this sentence can be read (using some mental
gymnastics) as technically correct, but really I think the meaning
would be clearer using: "The table[s] below outline[] the
comprehensive…etc."

2.1: Rights Types

Table:

The Semantics and Comments fields are inconsistent in whether they are
punctuated with a final period. In two cases they are (Set and Ticket
Comment), in the rest they are not. I suggest that, in this table at
least, since some of the texts have multiple sentences and the first
sentences are using full punctuation (see the Offer and Request
Comments, and others), then it is odd to leave off the final period on
the next sentence. So I feel it would be best to use a final period in
all the Semantics and Comment sentences.

2.2.1 Permissions and Prohibitions

In the Table:

a) As in previous table, the final period is inconsistent in Semantics
and Comments. I suggest again adding it in all cases. Or at very
least, since many fields are very short, adding it in cases where
there are multiple sentences.

b) Annotate, Comment: Now reads: "A new asset is created". This
sentence confused me here the first time I encountered it (though
later when I saw it several times in other places, I understood). My
initial thought was: Does it mean that the annotation itself is the
new asset? If so I think it could be stated more clearly, for
instance: "A new asset is created (which is the annotation)".

c) Distribute, Semantics: Now reads: "The act of distributing, display
publicly, and publicly perform the asset"

  i) The verb forms are not the same, which causes difficulties in
understanding the sentence. I believe it would read better as: "The
act of distributing, display[ing] publicly, and publicly perform[ing]
the asset."

  ii) Perhaps the 'and' in that sentence means 'or' ? In other words,
I'm unclear about whether the Permission to Distribute allows all
three of these together and individually? It appears so. If so,
wouldn't the correct word for just 'displaying publicly' be 'or',
rather than 'and'? (So the best to cover all cases would be 'and/or')?

d) Give - Comment - 'MUST' : Capitalization means...? See my comment
on general problems at start.

2.2.2 Duties

a) reviewTerms - Comment: Now reads: "[Maybe] used when human
intervention is required to review the rights expression" "Maybe" is
not correct here, I believe; I believe the Comment would read better
and consistent with other usage in the document as: "[This action can
be] used when human intervention is required to review the rights
expression."

2.3 Constraints

a) The first sentence is not comprehensible to me. I believe there has
been at least one major punctuation error (comma that should be a
period), one minor punctuation error (semi-colon that should be a
colon), and one typo error changing a word ('as' that should be 'has').

I think in fact that it should be two sentences; which would read as
follows (changes in square brackets):

"The Constraint entity [h]as three attributes[:] name, operator and
rightOperand[.] For example, to express that…" etc.

b) Sentence directly above the Table, and Table itself: See my
comments about use of periods at sentence endings, for section 2.1. I
believe all sentences should end with a period.

c) Format - Comment: Now reads: "…For example, JPEG image can only be
distributed."

The 'only' incorrectly modifies 'distributed', when what is meant is
for it to modify 'JPEG'. A better wording would be: "…For example,
only JPEG image can be distributed."

2.4 Object

Sentence directly above the Table, and Table itself: See my comments
about use of periods at sentence endings, for section 2.1.

2.6 Asset, and 3 Profiles:

Inconsistent use of periods at sentence endings.

Best regards,

Steven Rowat