[Odrl-version2] XML Encoding - early WD release

ri at odrl.net ri at odrl.net
Thu Feb 25 17:59:39 EST 2010

Stuart - the (current) reason we can't have Asset and Party at the top Rights level is that the Core Model does not represent this (It did in Version 1.1 - but that confused people as well as they did not really know what they applied to....)

Currently, and Asset and Party must be inside a Permission/Prohibition to make it clear and absolute.

But you are right, we are being inconsistent with Duty being at the top level too...

So perhaps we can allow Party/Asset at the top level - but their semantics are from within the Permission/Prohibition elements. We can document this in the XML encoding.

This would mean the final example as:
(Note: the asset has IDREF inside the Permission, and the real identifier is in the ID asset)

   <o:rights xmlns:o="http://odrl.net/2.0/" uid="urn:exp:0231" xmlns:d="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
       type="http://odrl.net/2.0/type/offer">
       <o:permission>
           <o:asset xml:idref="A1" />
           <o:action resource="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/play"/>
           <o:duty xml:idref="D1"/>
           <o:party xml:idref="P1" />
       </o:permission>
       <o:permission>
           <o:asset xml:idref="A1" />
           <o:action resource="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/copy"/>
           <o:constraint name="http://odrl.net/2.0/constraint/count"
               operator="http://odrl.net/2.0/operator/lteq"  rightOperand="1"/>
           <o:duty xml:idref="D1"/>
           <o:party xml:idref="P1" />
       </o:permission>
       <o:duty xml:id="D1">
           <o:action resource="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/pay"/>
           <o:object measure="http://odrl.net/2.0/object/EUR" value="0.50"/>
           <o:party ixml:idref="P1"/>
       </o:duty>
       <o:asset xml:id="A1" uid="urn:music:4545">
           <d:title>Purple Rain</d:title>
           <d:creator>Prince</d:creator>
       </o:asset>
       <o:party xml:id="P1" uid="urn:sony:10" role="http://odrl.net/2.0/role/assigner/">
           <v:org>Sony Music International Inc</v:org>
           <v:tel>+555 5555 5555 Inc</v:tel>
       </o:party>
   </o:rights>

Cheers