[Odrl-version2] Proposal: Multiple Actions

Steven Rowat steven_rowat at sunshine.net
Tue Aug 3 13:46:29 EST 2010

On 8/2/10 4:33 AM, ri at odrl.net wrote:
> At the moment, we only allow one Action per Permission.....
> This is rather verbose. We could allow Action to be repeated to
> support:
...> I think we can also support the latter if we also stipulate that
> you can't have Constraints with Permissions with multiple Actions
> (if you do, then use the former method)

The compact form seems much better.

I'll admit in advance I'm venturing into things I'm not fully familiar
with, but is it necessary to go back to the full form when there are
constraints?

My reading of the current Core Model
(http://odrl.net/2.0/DS-ODRL-Model.html) is that Constraints are
children of Permissions, so can't Constraints appear inside this
multiple listing, so the asset and assigner/assignee data won't need
to be repeated?

  For example, in your:

    <permission>
        <asset uid="urn:ebook:shakespeare:romeo+juliet"/>
        <action name="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/display"/>
        <action name="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/print"/>
        <action name="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/copy"/>
       <assigner uid="william at shakespeare.biz"/>
        <assignee uid="hamlet at denmark.lit"/>
      </permission>

would it be possible to add a Constraint on 'display', another on
'print' and another on 'copy', by having 'Constraint' that appears
immediately after an action be understood to apply to that action; e.g:

    <permission>
        <asset uid="urn:ebook:shakespeare:romeo+juliet"/>
        <action name="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/display"/>
		<constraint ...>
        <action name="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/print"/>
		<constraint ...>
        <action name="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/copy"/>
		<constraint ...>
       <assigner uid="william at shakespeare.biz"/>
        <assignee uid="hamlet at denmark.lit"/>
      </permission>

or, another way, by putting the constraint inside the action brackets, eg:

   <permission>
        <asset uid="urn:ebook:shakespeare:romeo+juliet"/>
        <action name="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/display"
constraint= 'someconstraints'/>
        <action name="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/print" constraint=
'someconstraints'
        <action name="http://odrl.net/2.0/action/copy" constraint=
'someconstraints' />
       <assigner uid="william at shakespeare.biz"/>
        <assignee uid="hamlet at denmark.lit"/>
      </permission>

I realize this might mean making some new syntax legal, but it might
be worth it, because it will simplify the most complex cases (where
there are both multiple Permissions and multiple Constraints) which
will be the hardest to code and read.

s.r.