[Odrl-version2] Core Metadata 2

Steven Rowat steven_rowat at sunshine.net
Wed May 27 03:28:39 EST 2009

> The new Core Metadata (24 May) is up at
> <http://odrl.net/2.0/WD-ODRL-Core-Metadata.html>

Superb.

 From my perspective, it fully encompasses all major DRM scenarios
(free and monied transactions; for individuals and groups), and does
so in a way that is laid out simply and elegantly. Anyone who needs an
overall solution to the problem of DRM and permissions for digital use
on the web should be directed to this document.

But since it's is a *working* specification, I believe I may also be
permitted a couple of English-language niggles:

--Table 2, top "Comment/Example"
"For example, a Print permission shall be constraint by 10 times..."
is not grammatically correct.
I believe what is meant is:
"For example, a Print permission shall be constrained to 10 times..."

--Table 2, "Semantic" column, second row, there is an extra period at
the end.

--Table 2, "Semantic" column,  "Purpose" row:
"May be used to constraint the..."  -- again, "constraint" is not a
verb. I believe "May be used to constrain the..." is the correct
English usage.

Just change those, and as far as I can tell it's ready for XML and to
be applied to the known universe. :-)

Steven Rowat