[Odrl-version2] Microdata and RDFa HTML4/5 specs

Helge Hundacker hundacker at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Aug 20 00:05:50 EST 2009

Hello Steven Rowat,
Just now a student of us is working to create an ODRL-RDFa-Profile in a thesis. This profile will depend on ODRL version 1.1. The student aims to complete this work until september. Maybe these results can already help you.
Presumbly we will append a thesis of another student in order to extend this to ODRL Version 2.0.

A collegue and I have just taken a look at the features of Microdata. It seems to be comparable to RDFa. RDFa seems to be a little bit more complex, but has a little bit more possibilities. I think learning Microdata will be very easy for someone who already knows RDFa. RDFa has the advantage, that it can be converted very easily to normal RDF (or rather is already RDF), which can be used for other usecases which will not deal with web pages and HTML. But also, Microdata will presumably be easily converted to RDF or other notations.

At this moment, Microdata is not sufficiently established to use it, since it exist just as a draft. Maybe in the long term it will get more support when HTML 5 is completed. So we will continue with RFDa at this moment, but we will have a close eye on the HTML 5 developement.

Sorry, that I cannot say a), b) or c) will be the best way. Nevertheless I hope, I could help you.

Greets, Helge Hundacker

Dipl.-Ing. Helge Hundacker

IT Risk Management
University of Koblenz-Landau, Germany
Phone  +49 261 287-2867
http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~hundacker

es-and-practices/use-cases-and-comparison-rdfahtml5-microdata