[odrl-version2] Announce: ODRL Microformat Plugin

Steven Rowat steven_rowat at sunshine.net
Wed Sep 17 05:17:06 CST 2008

Renato Iannella wrote:

> NICTA is please to announce the release of a FireFox Plugin that detects
> ODRL Microformats.../....this is alpha software to test the concept

Oh what fun!  :-)

Installation: Easy and apparently flawless (FF 3.0.1, Mac OSX 10.4.9,
PPC).

Examples:
--ODRL button shows in lower right corner of window, as expected.
--ODRL Policy Manager opens for all four Examples, when button is
clicked, as expected.

Confusions and Questions:

After a few minutes with the Examples, and looking at the source code
for the html page, I admit significant confusion about how the plugin
operates and how I would interact with it:

	A.  As a developer wanting to put it into my own pages.
	B.  As a naive page user wanting to interact with it.

I may be way off track with some of my guesses/concerns, but here goes:

A. As a developer:
	1. I don't see the text that resides inside the "ODRL Policy Manager"
in the source code. Where do I supply this text? I.e., in Example  1,
the Constraint in the Policy Manager says "You can only do this within
AU". Is this text supplied by the developer? Or is it canned text
inside the Plugin that I can't access? This would be a problem because:
	2. All four examples have text that states some of the restrictions,
in plain English, ie., Example 1: "Terms of use:  You may View this
page and Print this page....etc." However, I'm currently developing
multiple pages where this is not appropriate, e.g., a poem with a
image background. In this case only the small button in the lower
right would exist. As it stands, all ODRL interaction would be through
the "ODRL Policy Manager". Thus it would be necessary to have "plain
English" in the Policy Manager, I believe. Is this possible?
	3. Further, in consideration of this problem, I'm unsure of the need
for and use of the 'tooltip' popups that appear when words in the text
are hovered over. In some pages they will be unavailable (see previous
question), and in others they will be redundant (if the text already
explains the ODRL restrictions) - ?

Put another way (though, again, I may fail to understand the intent of
the current setup):
	It seems that the same data is shown four times ie., Example 1:
		i) plain text English on the page:  "You can only do this in  Australia"
		ii) tooltip popup: "AU"
		iii) ODRL Policy Manager, Policy tab: "You can only do this in AU"
		iv) ODRL Policy Manager, source tab: "spatial=AU"

Can you break this down and show where each of these is supplied by
the developer, and what its use is? Perhaps not all four are necessary?

B. As a user:
	1. Why would I click on the ODRL button (if that's all that was on
the page - e.g., see #2 above) if I didn't already know what ODRL was?
[So, can that button be replaced with something that the developer
would prefer, ie., their own button or text?]
	2. If I did click on the ODRL (or whatever replaces it) button, I
think I might be confused by the statements in the Policy tab. Who are
these intended for, as they stand now? I.e., in Example 2, if a user
only had the button and the Policy tab, they'd get "Party 1 / Billie
Jay". The user might wonder what "Party 1" means. Can these category
names be accessed by the developer and changed? (ie., to "author", for
instance).

In sum,
I'm pleasantly confused and looking forward to trying this out further.

Thanks for the work, Renato!

Steven Rowat