[Odrl-version2] New ODRL v2.0 Model

Susanne Guth Susanne.Guth at gmx.net
Mon Jan 16 03:47:49 EST 2006

Hi Alapan, happy new year everybody,

thanks for your proposal with regard to ODRL 2.0. Let's get things moving!
Here are my first comments, yet not complete (there have been a bunch of
issues in your paper :) )

With regard to "other issues":

4.5.1 Containers

We kicked out the containers because it is extremely complex to define the
semantics and implement containers. (That showed the implementation
experiences). On the other hand we did not come up with a better solution
for expressing XOR/OR/AND relations. In ODRL v1.1 containers are allowed for
a bunch of things; maybe in v2.0 Containers should only be allowed for
permissions, prohibitions and duties. What do you guy think?

4.5.2 "NOT"

By allowing to express "Prohibitions" we have our means to express "NOT".
Originally the NOT was requested to express things like: "Everything is
allowed, except 'thisandthat'. The odrl-v2.0-"prohibition" offers such a
means.

4.5.3 Next Rights

I kind of like the idea to eliminate one level in the ODRLv2.0 and instead
use a variable to express different types of rights expressions. We might
want to think about adding your "Type" attribute of License to the "Rights"
element. By that however we reduce our flexibility to but e.g. an offer an
"next rights" into one "rights" node tree?

In your current proposal a ticket could be part of a license which could
have the Type="Offer". That would not really make sense to me. We should
keep ticket, offer, request, agreement, etc. on one level respectively with
the same type of element. In your proposal, offer is an attribute and ticket
is an element.

4.5.4 Parties & Duties

I need some more information on this issue because I don't understand the
conflict that you have. Is it because the Duty always refers to an Action?

That's it for now. More comments to come. Any other thought of the ODRL v2.0
people?

So long
Susanne

--
Susanne Guth
susanne at odrl.net
ODRL Initiative
http://odrl.net/

DSL-Aktion wegen großer Nachfrage bis 28.2.2006 verlängert:
GMX DSL-Flatrate 1 Jahr kostenlos* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl