Re: setAttributeNS(): should it change the namespace prefix?

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 00:24:07 +0100, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> This is somewhat off-topic, but I'm actually hoping that we can get rid
> of namespaced attributes. They create a lot of silly performance issues
> (even if you never ever use namespaced attributes or
> setAttributeNS/getAttributeNS) and implementation complexity. Not to
> mention that people very often misunderstand how they work and think that
> prefix-less attributes belong to the same namespace as the owner element
> or use the default (prefixless-xmlns declared) namespace.
>
> There's a very good chance that this doesn't work, but it seems worth
> trying. It would be a very nice simplification in Gecko, and would
> measurably improve the speed of setAttribute.

If you store Attr.name it should not be that bad I think. I do agree that
if we can simplify attributes as a concept even more that would be great.
The DOM spec already puts emphasis on Attr.name/Attr.value.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/