Re: Request for CfC to publish DOM Level 3 Events as a CR

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 08:40:13 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Jacob Rossi wrote:
> > >
> > > We'd like to request a Call for Consensus to publish DOM3 Events as
> > > a Candidate Recommendation.
> >
> > While I do not object to publishing any specs, I still think in this
> > particular instance that the approach taken by the DOM Core spec in
> > integrating DOM Core and DOM Events, and specifying DOM Events in a
> > more concise way, is the better approach. I would recommend removing
> > the DOM Events model from this specification, leaving only the
> > definitions of the actual events ('click', etc).
>
> Do you mean this as a late last call comment, as a request to put those
> features 'at risk', or as an objection to publishing the spec?

Neither. I do not consider the event model part of this specification to
be relevant, as it is entirely supplanted by DOM Core's description.

I do not think there should be a difference in how feedback is handled
based on where in the W3C process the specification falls. That you might
consider such editorial feedback "late" is yet more evidence of the harm
that the process causes the Web. Feedback that impacts implementations can
be late if it contradicts implemented interoperable reality, but it is
meaningless to refer to feedback that does not impact implementations as
"late"; a spec can always be changed in an editorial fashion.